5 Best Golf Courses in Algarve
Algarve is one of the most well-known areas in Europe that offers amazing opportunities for avid golfers. Depending on your personal interests you can choose to visit a place that offers fun and adventure, or something that offers more tranquility and relaxation. You have plenty of options to consider based on your budget and time of year you want to visit. Millions of travelers each year visit Algarve to enjoy golf and quality services at nearby resorts, golf clubs, and restaurants. While there are more than a handful of options through the region, the following 5 are just a few to give an idea of some of the best golf courses Algarve has to offer (more here).
- The Old Course (Oceanico) , also known as, Vialmoura Golf Club. This course is considered one of the easier courses to play in Algarve. The course actually has other courses designed around it, but it is considered a great option for beginners or those want to learn how to play. It may seem easy to make your shots, but a further look may say otherwise.
- Quinta de Cima. This course offers plenty of natural beauty from a national park that is sure to help you relax when you’re on and off the course. Tournament play is best suited for interested players as its design compliments the game with water hazards for experienced players.
- Monte Rei Golf and Country Club. This course was designed by a championship golfer and has a unique location in eastern Algarve near a major high way. The course offers a natural rural setting that is tranquil, but it is known to be one of the most challenging courses Algarve has to offer. It has tricky water hazards and it measures over 7000 yards long.
- Onyria Palmares Beach and Golf Resort. This course has been refurbished and now includes 27 holes along with outstanding ocean views. It is close by the countryside and sierras. It has a links-style environment with plenty of challenging opportunities for golfers of all levels.
- Penina Golf Course. This course features 18 holes as it is one of Algarve’s most celebrated courses. The unique design was created by a 3-time golf champion Sir Henry Cotton. There is a resort and an academy to help you hone your skills. The designer provides plenty of challenges for avid golfers to tackle with beautiful landscape that includes over 350,000 trees.